Monday, July 6, 2009

Nez, nez, nez vs. Nä, nä, nä

When two words in different languages sound similar but have different meanings there can be a problem...

My husband G has a game with Julie where they touch their noses and say: Nez, nez, nez!
(French for Nose, nose, nose!) Julie then bubbles with laughter and then they start over again. Nez, nez, nez...

However, when I say: Nä, nä, nä! (Swedish slang for No, no, no!) when she's putting her fingers in the electric socket or pulling my hair really hard she bubbles with laughter too!

It took awhile for me to understand why she became so happy when I said no! Maybe I'll have to say No in other languages?

Finnish: Ei!
Albanian: Jo!
Somali: Maya!
German: Nein! Maybe the most effective ;-D?

2 comments:

Åsa said...

Jolie vet redan hur hon skall få sin vilja fram, haha!
Kram Åsa!

Anonymous said...

Du kan ju prova med Libanesiska: la, la la... eller så blir det nog förväxlat med andra franska uttryck. / faster